Tonight brings us the real opening night for the NBA with ten games on tap. Seven of those feature a Vegas O/U of at least 200 including a gigatic 222.5 for the Lakers/Rockets. I would assume the storyline of the night is the beginning of the Russell Westbrook era in OKC (though the game is in Philly). As for me, I’ll have my eyes on the supporting cast for OKC to see who steps up to fill that scoring void from KD’s departure. With the absurdity of people picked 3x, we will revert to last season’s tactic of only doing write-ups on those picked 4x or more.
The numbers in the parenthesis are the number of experts that picked that player to give you more context as to the gaps between players and the tiers.
- Russell Westbrook (11x) – Is there any doubt who will be the highest owned guy on the board? Russ gets his chance to completely run the show and I’m looking forward to watching it.
- James Harden (11x) – Harden has free reign as well with the departure of Dwight Howard. I’d expect an MVP-type season out of him.
- Tim Frazier (10x) – With Tyreke Evans out until late-November, it’s Frazier’s team to run. He’ll get ample opportunities to shine.
- DeMarcus Cousins (9x) – Boogie! He’s probably my favorite DFS player. Fresh off a season in which he averaged 26.9ppg, 11.5rpg and 3.3apfg.
- Devin Booker (9x) – Booker had a nice rooking campaign last year. He’ll be less of a value play this season though.
- Hassan Whiteside (9x) – He’s a double-double machine. Expect the offense to run through him a bit more this year.
- Eric Gordon (8x) – He could be set up for a breakout year. Playing in a Houston offense that is without Patrick Beverly for the first couple months should allow Gordon some rope to work with.
- Anthony Davis (7x) – The Brow is back and looking to lead the Pelicans back to the postseason. He posted 24.3ppg and 10.4rpg last season.
- Julius Randle (7x) – Randle seems like a nice value play tonight at $5,900 on DK.
- Ty Lawson (6x) – He stuck around after a missed flight that would have cost most guys a roster spot. I wouldn’t expect a ton out of him.
- Jusuf Nurkic (6x) – He will get the start in the Denver frontcourt. He averaged a double-double in the preseason.
- Victor Oladipo (5x) – Oladipo gets his first regular season run in an OKC uniform. He will likely handle the backup PG position until Payne returns. I’d expect Donovan to stagger he and Westbrook’s minutes meaning Oladipo will be relied upon heavily to score with that 2nd unit.
- JaMychal Green (5x) – Green will start as ZBo moves to the bench. With a grind it out style, it’s been tough to depend a ton on Memphis players.
- Serge Ibaka (5x) – Ibaka should be a focal point of the Orlando offense this year. If he can get back to his rim protection days where he provide 2-3 blocked shots a night, that would be a big boost to the DFS format.
- Clint Capela (5x) – With Howard gone, Capela draws the start for the Rockets. He’ll be backed up by Nene Hilario so expect them to split minutes early on.
- Karl-Anthony Towns (5x) – Towns was such a stud last season. Can he avoid a sophomore slump? My bet is that he can.
- Ish Smith (5x) – With Reggie Jackson hurt, Ish should shoulder the load at the PG position in Detroit. He’s always been one of my favorite value plays.
- Paul George (5x) – Everytime I roster him, he stinks. Don’t let that discourage you from playing him. Coming off a season in which he averaged 23.1ppg and 7.0rpg.
- Ryan Anderson (4x) – Anderson should fit well with the Rockets up-tempo style. He provides a deep threat in transition.
- D’Angelo Russell (4x) – He’s set for a breakout year in Luke Walton’s inaugural year as Lakers coach. Russell is a stat sheet stuffer.
- Myles Turner (4x) – He has a solid preseason. If he can see an uptick in minutes, he has the potential to be a stud.
- Steven Adams (4x) – Adams is the most intriguing Thunder player to me. I’m expecting big things from him in the scoring and rebounding columns.
- Dario Saric (4x) – The rookie is expected to start for the Sixers. Someone has to score and rebound for them so why not Saric?!
- Trevor Ariza (3x)
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (3x)
- Terry Rozier (3x)
- Giannis Antetokounmpo (3x)
- James Ennis (3x)
- Enes Kanter (3x)
- Nikola Jokic (3x)
- Robert Covington (3x)
- Rudy Gay (3x)
- Isaiah Thomas (3x)
- Arron Afflalo (3x)
- Danilo Gallinari (3x)
- Al Horford (3x)
- Brook Lopez (3x)
Best of luck tonight and we look forward to helping you win this season! Get that cash! Follow me on Twitter @mbutlerok.